These sessions will provide you with an overview of the POPI Act, the impact it will have on various areas and key people in the business, and clear steps on how to become POPI compliant. It will help you to understand the purpose of the Act, the importance of compliance and the consequences of non-compliance.
The deadline to be fully compliant with POPIA requirements is 1 July 2021.
Many areas, such as Operations, IT, Marketing and HR will need to align their processes to ensure the business is compliant with POPI.
The following topics will be covered:
- When POPI will apply, and when not.
- When to grant clients or refuse third parties access to information.
- In which instances businesses will need to ask clients to opt-in and opt-out of communications.
- How to comply with the Act in terms of access, collection and use of personal information.
- The responsibilities when processing client information.
- Security needed to safeguard client information.
- How to ensure personal information is securely stored or effectively.
- The person in the business who is accountable for POPI.
- How POPI will be monitored and enforced.
- Steps to follow to become POPI compliant.
- Understand the right to privacy.
- When can information be stored outside of South Africa.
- The importance of good quality data.
- The retention of client information – what to keep and what not to keep.
On completion, you will be able to:
- Understand the purpose of the Act and the obligations on the business and its people.
- Comply with the Act in terms of access, collection and use of personal information.
- Ensure personal information is securely stored or effectively destroyed.
- Be aware of the importance of compliance and the consequences of non-compliance.
- Identify the activities that are needed to ensure compliance in all your business practices.
- Practically implement POPI.
- FSPs, Key Individuals and Representatives will earn 3 CPD hours towards maintaining their competence requirements.
- FPI members will be able to earn 3 CPD hours in the Ethics and Practice Standards category.
Interested in attending this webinar or face-to-face seminar?
Click on the links below to register or browse dates for this webinar and seminar.
Webinars | Face-to-face seminars
How will attendees benefit
By attending, you will not only be able to identify the duties and responsibilities required to be POPI compliant, but also develop an understanding of best practices for processing personal information, and protecting people’s right to privacy and at the same time also learn what is your rights when it comes to people wanting to collect your personal information.
What attendees had to say
“Baie dankie vir jou deeglike Everything you Need to Know and Do to Become POPI Compliant webinar aanbieding. Dit was uitstekend.”
– Koos Rossouw | Stonehage Fleming Financial Services (Pty) Ltd
“Thank you for delivering a clear and simplistic POPI webinar. All the regulatory changes can be daunting and the manner in which the topics were explained during this webinar, made it easy to understand.”
– Gail Schouw | Lion of Africa Life Assurance
Accredited by the Financial Planning Institute of Southern Africa (FPI)